Monday, July 19, 2010

Apple peanut-butter cinnamon bars


I had the unfortunate experience of getting stuck with about six cups of left over apple cinnamon oatmeal this morning. And no, it wasn't that instant stuff from the little packages in the Quaker oatmeal box. This oatmeal was special, I got up early so I could peel and dice apples into tiny little cubes, then toasted and cooked organic rolled oats before adding the cinnamon and brown sugar. So you can imagine my disappointment when I was informed by my seven year old that it's "to hot to eat oatmeal" and my husband didn't even have time to sit down to eat (but the baby and I did enjoy OUR breakfast). I HATE to waste anything so I immediately came up with a scheme to make use of my giant bowl of oatmeal. It wasn't rocket science either, one egg, a scoop of peanut butter, spread onto a greased cookie sheet and baked for 30 minutes, cool and cut into bars. I got 24 bars out of this recipe (most of which disappeared almost instantly), and I intend to freeze them and pop them in the toaster for on the go breakfasts and snacks for the next few weeks. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment