Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Goosebumps

A few weeks ago I was passing through the living room with a load of laundry and I over heard my daughter say to her little brother "if you call them when your scared they'll come".  I was pressed for time, so I didn't stop to ask what she was talking about, and eventually the day took over and the moment got misplaced in my thoughts............until last night.

My two year old has nightmares a few times a month... not just your normal little scarymares, he has full blown night terrors complete with thrashing, screaming, kicking and punching. He doesn't wake up while this is happening to him........................ but I do.  Last night was a particularly bad night for him, I was in an out of his room almost every hour throughout the night. 

Around 3 a.m. I woke up again, but not because he was screaming..... I heard his VOICE, clear as a bell, calling for Sully..... it was beautiful and melodic and was kind of an alien sound to me, because my little guy doesn't talk much to begin with (I spend most of my day trying to determine what he wants by decoding patterns of grunts and hand gestures)  AND HE WAS CALLING OUR DOG...... who passed away last year.  His song turned to a question and then to a series of oooooo's and awwwhs, then to delighted two-year old chatter.  I waited and listened until his voice tapered off to just happy little whispers, then I snuck in to peek,  he was sleeping soundly with a smile on his face.

Some angels have fur :)


1 comment: