Friday, September 24, 2010

Loofah Plants :)

Loofah plant
The baby helps find the gourds:)



The vine climbs trees :)





Mayzi likes to make holiday gifts for family members. We usually make pine cone bird feeders, bake bread and cookies.  But this year this year we planted some Loofah gourd plants to make organic loofah sponges and started collecting glass jars to put homemade sugar scrub in.  


 I wasn't expecting the plants to be as productive as they are, I almost got hysterical when my husband accidentally picked the immature gourds thinking they were squash.  But in the last few weeks my gourds have come back strong! They've taken over the garden and are working their way up the big pines in the tree line. 


 I'm looking forward to seeing how this project turns out.  After the gourds mature, they'll turn brown or yellow.  Then we can harvest, peel and clean them and she'll have lots of loofah sponges to give  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment